A year in the life of......

A collection of true stories of: Triumphs and Failures. Random Thoughts and Rants in life and love of a Masocistic Beauty Queen.



Thursday, November 3, 2011

Divorce Everyone is Doing It!


It seems like every five minutes someone else is getting engaged.  Then five minutes later someone you know is getting divorced.  The vows of till death due us part don't matter anymore.  It has become till things get hard and then we will get divorced.  Now I have never been married (although maybe in my last relationship I might as well have been) but I'm pretty sure that just because there are issues it doesn't mean you are supposed to just quit. Kim K is the latest tabloid divorce; married just 72 day to Humps.  Do I think the whole situation is stupid?  Absolutely! But maybe she is just like most women except she is in Hollywood so the clock moves much faster?

Let's think about it.  Most women like Kim K have dreamed of their wedding day since they were little girls.  Meeting that special guy, having him get down on one knee, and putting on a fancy white dress.  It's a beautiful image for most of us. We can't hate on Kim K for having that same dream.  For some of us that dream comes true pretty quick.  Married with children all before the age of twenty five.  For the rest of us we start playing the waiting game.  Fantasy's about if this guy is to be the "one."  Years go on and like Kim K some of us will become desperate.  Women become afraid that society will dub them an old maid.  They make goals to become married to the next one because after all as long as they have waited he will be the right one.  Then the child brides who are now divorces jump on the wagon and fear they have to find husband number two ASAP!

The search begins and many of us like Kim K find a new relationship.  With in a few months or a year the dream becomes true and an engagement happens.  But is the guy really the one or is he just a Kris Humphries?  Sure maybe there are those people who find love at first sight.  The truth is it is few and far between when that actually happens.  It takes a while to really get to know someone so rushing into a marriage can be a recipe for disaster. Yet women don't think about that because they are in love with the fantasy. About being a bride, having a husband, and a family. Everything is all good and then the honeymoon ends.

Reality sets in and people will realize they are practically strangers.  Things that should be discussed before an engagement happens come up and cannot be resolved.  The bickering starts, bills start coming in, and sometimes babies. All Hell starts breaking loose and people are pushed to their limits.  Marriage isn't easy and it's too much pressure.  Plus now that they have done it once or twice they could always try again with someone else.  Divorce papers get filed in no time and it's on to the next one.  It's no big deal to them and with in two months they are a la Jennifer Lopez so in love with a new guy.

We are a disposable society and there is nothing that is sacred anymore.  I can understand and relate to these insecurities we feel and the pressure to be married I am a woman after all.  But I am not a person that settles or will rush into anything.  Maybe that is because I am emotionally traumatized from my last relationship. But, since that relationship was so complicated it gave me a preview of the hurdles that could potentially come up in a marriage.  It was a lot of work and I wasn't planning on just quitting. You take the good and the bad of a person when it is really love.  If I didn't quit that there is no way I am going to quit my husband.  Therefore I choose to be picky. 

Everyone around me can do what they want; they can all be Kim K's. But I will keep waiting and that maybe a long while.  I don't think being a divorce' is cool and I hate dating.  The last thing I want to do is being thrown into that scene after I was finally out of it.  Let's be serious there are a ton of creepy leaky's out there!  So do yourselves a favor before you make the leap ask yourself if you really know this person you are going to marry?  Do you really know you?  If you can't securely answer both those questions in detail it is probably a bad idea.