A year in the life of......

A collection of true stories of: Triumphs and Failures. Random Thoughts and Rants in life and love of a Masocistic Beauty Queen.



Monday, July 11, 2011

Your Life Is More Like a Donkey's Then A Unicorn

I live in city where it is custom to be a child bride.  Married by the time you are twenty five, kids by twenty five and half, then divorced by thirty.  After that you have achieved everything that is expected of you in this backward place of bibles and drinking in secret dark corners.  Every second of the day if you choose to be a rebel someone will be there trying to crush you spirit.  Well I want to tell those people I'm not a donkey and they are full of shit.

I don't know how many years I spent secretly agonizing about not coming in first at the horse race.  Not living in the right house with the perfect husband and worrying about my eggs drying up before their time.  But the truth of the matter is those people that tell me I am a misfit they are the ones that don't belong....because most people in the real world think the people of West Michigan are out their damn minds.  I am only thirty and I needed time to make my mistakes.  At this point in my life I am just figuring out who I am.  My emotions have been crushed by everything from death to love and I have learned to be a fighter.

I am so much more then a tan Barbie with super cute hot pink lip gloss.  Just because I don't have a little bling on my left ring finger it doesn't mean I'm not a unicorn.  I had a relationship and I worked harder on it then any married couple I know.  Then just when I thought I was going to grow up and take the next step the boat started sinking.  Some people think I should have slit my wrists over the disappointments of my life.  I think they are going to have a huge botox bill by the time they are forty.  Humanity is a totally dysfunctional species of animal and Darwin was right it is about survival of the fittest. 

There were plenty of dinosaurs that followed the rules and they are all dead now.  What is the fun of life if you don't get the chance to fall on your ass a couple of times?  I have learned to always expected the unexpected.  I can say right now I think prince charming is a piece of shit and I would love to send three little pigs to blow his pathetic house down....but I could change my mind. It's like when you eat at a restaurant and the service sucks.  You think to yourself I am never going back to Olive Garden.  Then one day you do and you realize I love this place!

 Maybe I'm not meant to be with a stuffy prince, if I am looking for magic I might need to find a wizard.  How amazing would it be to have someone to spend your days with that can make something out of nothing?!  In the rest of the world women my age are taking exotic vacations with girlfriends and experiencing everything the universe has to offer.  It's just popping the bubble and realizing there is more to look forward to then belonging to someone.  I would rather be accomplished then be someones property.  I would rather have passion then perfection.  I have never settled for anything but love even if it was dysfunctional because it was real and I wouldn't settle for a marriage just to meet some bullshit quota.  That all being said when you think about it what do you think the outsiders looking in see when they compare you to me.  I think they see a bunch of donkeys and then they look at me....the glorious unicorn.